Friday, May 05, 2006

Falling in love

Two Lives and a love

Perhaps things that almost everyone would fall in love with and let stay in memory for long would be
  1. A good poetry of thorough expression
  2. A good book that is intelligently written with a solid flow of narration
  3. & Girls??? – may be sometime!

Today I happened to get my hands on one such love, a book ‘ Two Lives’ by Vikram Seth, from a book shop I visit regularly. It was thick with a hard cover binding. Looking at it initially, I was little hesitant to take it off the shelves as one nerve from my cerebral hemisphere impulse shot its ions that I might not find time to read it fully, but soon after ten of its neighbors disagreed, my hand grabbed it off the shelf. I had previously read Seth’s poetry. I also have a copy of ‘Mappings’ with me back home, which I brought at a seconds sale bookshop for a bargain. Though I have appreciated it, I should say I did not fall in love with it as I expected to be. Deciding that I’ll glance through this book so that at least I could acknowledge this poor guy from India, educated at Oxford and writing books for a living, I went on reading through few pages.

The book begins humbly but the way the writer had framed the events and gets the reader hooked on is a simple great! I had the same felling as reading an R.K.Narayanan’s narration after a long time. I am particularly not interested in fiction and the like although at times to get myself abreast with the knowledge of what is going on in that sphere I pop up occasionally to a few books that capture the front shelves.

I am really happy that I found this book and have told myself that I dedicate some time in my diary so I could thoroughly enjoy it to the full. Love is meant to be cherished isn’t?

No comments: